EU Travel – The Latest UK Guidelines on Pet Travel

brexit pet travel

This page will remain updated with any changes to pet travel guidelines as a result of the Brexit transition. The guidelines in this page apply to dogs, cats, and ferrets.

Last Updated 16 August 2020

Starting 1 January 2021, new government guidelines on pet travel will be implemented between the UK and the EU.

If you are a seeking to travel with your pets to the EU after the Brexit transition, you should familiarize yourself with the new regulations and begin preparing at least four months before you travel.

What happens next?

As of January 2021, the UK will become a third country. Therefore, pet travel requirements may change depending on what category the country becomes.

In the EU Pet Travel Scheme, there are 3 types of a third country:

  • Unlisted
  • Part 1 listed
  • Part 2 listed

The following guidelines apply if the UK becomes an unlisted country after the Brexit transition.

If the UK becomes an unlisted country

Current EU pet passports issued in the UK will not be valid for travel. So before your pet can travel to the EU, you must take the following steps:

Micro-chip and Vaccinate Your Pet

In order to enter the EU after the Brexit transition, you must take your pet to the vet to make sure they comply with the health regulations required.

  1. Microchip your pet.
  2. Vaccinate your pet against rabies.
  3. After 30 days, your vet must take a blood sample from your pet and send it to an EU-approved blood lab.
  4. You can travel 3 months after your pet’s blood sample is taken.

If the blood test result is unsuccessful, then you must repeat the vaccination process and take another blood test. Importantly, you must wait another 3 months before your pet can travel.

Get an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)

An AHC is proof of your pet’s micro-chipping date, their vaccination history and the successful rabies antibody blood test result.

You must get an AHC signed by a vet. Guidance on finding an official vet can be found here.

The AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • Travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • Re-entry to Great Britain within 4 months after the date of issue

Note that you can only get an AHC within 10 days of travel.

Arrival to the EU

Upon arrival in the EU, you will need to enter through a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). There, you may need to present your pet’s original AHC alongside proof of:

  • your pet’s microchip
  • your pet’s rabies vaccination
  • blood test results
  • tapeworm treatment (if required)

Further Information

For more information about new government guidelines for pet travel after Brexit, visit the UK government website.

For assistance with booking flights and arranging the process of your pet’s travel, contact the Airpets team.

pet friendly rentals london